Wednesday, October 20, 2010

My Baby's For Sale!

Here's my '70 Honda CM70!  I'm (finally -it's taken two years!) done with the restoration and just listed it on Ebay.  


Even though I've owned quite a few Super Cubs, the '70 and '71 models have always had a special appeal to me - a significant update to the original design (note the "real" turn signals and larger headlamp), but still retaining the bolt-on fuel tank and ignition key in the side cover.  This version even has a "night light" that you turn on by pushing the horn button (when the ignition is off), which helps you in the dark to get the key in the switch:  no other model years have that!  The highlights of this project are the rebuild of the original motor, which increased the displacement from 70cc up to 90cc, and upped the transmission from a 3-speed to 4-speed. I also added larger tires (2.75 rear; 2.50 front), and a headlight with a replaceable bulb.  Everything works, runs great.


In accordance with my agreement with the better half, I have to sell this bike before moving on to my next restoration, which is a '65 CA100 (50cc).

7 comments:

  1. Wow, what a job! That is really incredible work and dedication. Congratulations, a true work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely bike! Here in the UK we got that shape front end and lights from 1967, and the bolt-on tank lasted until '83, last of the 6 volters, so it's not an uncommon shape here. (In Argentina it carried on to '93!)

    We never got electric starters here between the C102 and the 12 volt C90 of 1985.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just picked up a 1970 Honda c70m. I 'm missing parts, please help! I'm in Brooklyn. How can I get in touch with you?
    Thanks,
    Fernando

    ReplyDelete
  4. What parts do you need? Many are available direct from Honda, and you can get others at www.dratv.com, and www.ohiocycle.com. Send me a list and I'll try to help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm missing a carb, a horn, the ignition, gas cap, left side cover. It turns over, there is compression and spark but I don't know how to get her going.
    Thanks,
    Fernando

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can find all those parts except the left side cover at www.dratv.com. Specifically:

    http://www.dratv.com/c70m1970to1971.html

    As for the left side cover, search eBay. I've seen them for sale (from parted-out bikes) there. You can also use one from earlier model years, but it won't have the opening for the ignition lamp - which you could just remove if necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice bike.. got one too.. love it.. perfect for the Philippines....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for contributing to The Honda Super Cub blog!